The ACT Nutrition Support Service provides the following FREE services to ACT school canteens:
Canteen menu assessments
All ACT public school canteens will receive a free government approved menu assessment in line with the ACT Public School Food and Drink Policy 2015. Catholic and independent schools participating in the Fresh Tastes program may also be eligible for a free menu assessment.
Schools will receive a menu assessment report with:
- feedback on areas that meet the requirements of the ACT Public School Food and Drink Policy 2015
- recommendations to improve the menu in line with the policy
- advice on how to modify specific products to meet the policy
- a list of the foods and drinks available for sale at the canteen categorised into GREEN, AMBER or RED categories
- Canteen menu assessment process flow diagram
- Canteen menu assessment frequently asked questions
- Sample canteen menu
Free advice and support hotline
Give our dietitians a call to find out how we can help your canteen comply with the ACT Public School Food and Drink Policy.
We can help you:
- interpret the National Healthy School Canteen Guidelines (NHSCG)
- understand how the canteen is affected by the ACT Public School Food and Drink Policy
- understand your food safety requirements
- analyse recipes
- identify suitable products which meet the NHSCG
Canteen menu workshop
A must for school canteen managers, staff and volunteers! This free workshop has been specially designed for ACT school canteens to help inspire healthy menus and meet policy requirements.
This 2-hour interactive workshop is a great opportunity to:
- understand the NHSCG
- learn how to apply the Traffic Light System to your menu
- learn about the ACT Public School Food and Drink Policy and how it applies to school canteens
- learn how to assess products and recipes against the Traffic Light System
- network with other canteen managers and volunteers over refreshments
- sample a range of canteen approved recipes.
Contact us for more information about our canteen support services.