½ tablespoon caster sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
1¼ cups reduced fat milk
15g monounsaturated margarine spread
4 slices raisin bread
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, sugar and essence. Gradually whisk in milk.
- Spread margarine on each slice of bread. Cut bread into halves or finger length pieces.
- Place a layer of bread, margarine side down, into a small ovenproof dish and add half the milk mixture. Allow to stand for 2 minutes or until the bread has softened.
- Place remaining bread into dish. Add remaining milk mixture and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
- Stand dish in a larger baking dish. Add enough boiling water to the larger baking dish until the water comes halfway up the sides of inner baking dish.
- Bake in moderate oven for about 30 minutes or until just set. Serve warm
Tip: For an extra fruit boost, add a handful of mixed berries between the bread slices