¾ cup self-raising flour
¾ cup wholemeal self-raising flour
4 tablespoons margarine, softened
¼ cup light brown sugar
⅓ cup sultanas
¼ cup mixed peel
½ teaspoon ground mixed spice
1 large egg, beaten
3 tablespoons buttermilk, plus extra for brushing
⅓ cup plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Sift the self-raising flours into a large bowl; rub in the margarine with your fingertips. Stir in the brown sugar, sultanas, peel and spice.
- In a jug, beat together the egg and buttermilk. Pour into the flour mixture and bring together to make a soft dough.
- Lightly dust a work surface with extra flour, then roll out the dough to 2cm. Use a 4cm cutter to make rounds.
- Re-roll the trimmings and repeat to make more. Transfer to a non-stick baking sheet.
- Mix together the plain flour and 1-2 tablespoons of water and knead to make a smooth dough. Roll out, cut into thin strips and put a cross on top of each scone.
- Brush with extra milk, then bake for 15 minutes, until well risen and golden.