The ACT Nutrition Support Service (ACTNSS) has worked alongside ACT School Canteens over the past decade. Together, we have helped to shift the focus away from unhealthy food and replaced it with fresh, healthier options that not only support children’s health and wellbeing but also help to create an environment for our children that is free from unhealthy food influence and marketing.
All ACT Public School canteens recieve free menu assessments followed up with a report with:
- feedback on areas that meet the requirements of the ACT Public School Food and Drink Policy 2015
- recommendations to improve the menu in line with the policy
- advice on how to modify specific products to meet the policy
- a list of the foods and drinks available for sale at the canteen categorised into GREEN, AMBER or RED categories.
Schools participating in the Fresh Tastes program may also be eligible for a free menu assessment. Please get in touch to learn more.
We can help you:
- interpret the National Healthy School Canteen Guidelines (NHSCG)
- understand how the canteen is affected by the ACT Public School Food and Drink Policy
- understand your food safety requirements
- analyse recipes against the guidelines
- identify suitable products which meet the guidelines
Canteen Texting Service: Text 0468 734 436 with any canteen enquiry
Canteen Facebook Support Group: Join Canteen Connect ACT on Facebook to network, ask questions, share ideas and provide support to other ACT canteen managers, support staff and volunteers.
Canteen Day - Friday 4 November 2022
Canteen Day provides an opportunity for parents, children and the school community to say thank you to canteen staff for supporting our children's health. Canteen Day is celebrated on the first Friday of November each year. ACT Nutrition Support Service provide resources each year to support the day.
2021 Canteen Day Resources
Other resources for canteens
- Canteen Business Essentials Manual
All the information you need for successfully establishing or operating a P&C run canteen with a healthy menu!
- Go for Green Online Course & Guide
The perfect course and accompanying guide for navigating the traffic light system to meet your school food and drink policy
- Marketing Food at Schools
Learn the essential of marketing healthy food and drinks in your school using the 5Ps
- Food Handling and Food Safety in School Canteens
This information sheet provides general food safety information for school canteen operators
- Case studies of sustainable school canteen models in the ACT: Summary Report
The summary report contains a simple, practical reference guide to help your school choose a type of canteen that suits your environment and tips to optimise your school canteen.